I have been on a chicken nugget + mac & cheese bender for about 2 months now because it’s a huge pregnancy craving of mine! So, I wanted to lighten it up a bit this week [+ make a more nutritious choice] by meal prepping a leaner lunch. Really, I want to save the carbs for dinner!
So, I decided to experiment with making chicken avocado burgers. I tried making them 2 ways: the cast-iron pan + air fryer.
The cast-iron pan was annoying — just not for me. I felt like I was babysitting it + constantly checking/unsure if they were done. Also, they stuck like crazy to the pan.
I made a large chicken avocado burger in the air fryer + just flipped it halfway through. WOW — so good. They stayed together well + got slightly crispy on the outside, which I love.
If I didn’t do it this way, I would just bake them next time. I sure they would come out just fine. But, if you have an air fryer — definitely throw them in there!
Scroll for the chicken avocado burger recipe!
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1 large avocado
- 1tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup almond meal [you can use panko/bread crumbs, too!]
- 1tbsp cilantro
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 4 whole-grain burger buns
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 [you can also use an oven].
- Mix ground chicken, avocado, garlic, almond meal, cilantro, + salt & pepper together in a bowl.
- Divide into 4 patties.
- Place patties in the air fryer for 18 minutes. Flip halfway!
- Place patties on a burger bun with 1-2 slices of tomato. Add mayo, ketchup, or mustard — if desired!