Ready to really start mapping out a plan to help you break down 3-6 month goals?
Many times we fall off-track + end up giving up on our big goals because we have no idea how to create a plan that’s realistic, easy to follow, + trackable. We make these big, lofty promises to ourselves.
We get all excited!
We start doing all the things related to our wellness goals.
But… a few weeks later you slowly go back to your old, comfortable habits.
No new habits are formed + no real results are seen/felt.
Don’t worry. Nothing is wrong with you! You just need to come up with a simple plan that helps you gradually work towards your goals.
Today, I am going to teach you an easy + effective way to break down 3-6 month goals related to wellness!
Just download this worksheet + complete each section using my instructions below.
Ready to make some real changes? Let’s get started.
WHY 3-6 MONTHS?
You’ll see on the worksheet that I am going to have you break down your goals + attach specific habits. Don’t let anyone fool you. You need 3-6 months to really make most habits stick [21 days is unrealistic]!
Obviously the bigger the goal the longer you should give yourself. Don’t worry. You can alwayssss shift your timeline. If you want to break down multiple wellness goals, just print extra planners.
But, I don’t recommend planning out more than 2-3. The more goals you work towards the less likely you’ll follow through [especially if they’re pretty big goals with multiple habits]. Overall, I never recommend tracking more than 8 habits a day collectively.
Download your goal planner + tracker HERE + follow the instructions below!
STEP 1 | CHOOSE A 3-6 MONTH WELLNESS GOAL
Write out one wellness goal [eating, fitness, or mindset] that you want to reach in 3-6 months. It should be measurable + specific [not just “eat healthy”].
Be sure to pick a goal big enough that you can attach 2-4 habits to it. You should also be picking a goal big enough that you have to work up reaching the goal month-to-month.
Example of a goal that might be too small: Read 20 minutes a day 5 days a week.
- *This is a great goal! But, you can just make reading for 20 minutes a habit + track it on a sheet. It doesn’t have a lot of components attached besides picking up a book + reading.
Example of a big goal that can be broken down: Complete a 3 step morning routine 5 days a week.
- *This goal is perfect for this worksheet because you would attach 3 habits [each step in your routine!] as well as a habit of completing the morning routine. You would also work up from 1 day a week to 5 over 3-6 months.
STEP 2 | IDENTIFY YOUR STRONG “WHYS”
This small step is actually a very big deal. So many people give up on their 3-6 month goals because they have no stake in the game. Meaning, if they don’t follow through, so what!? Life continues.
But, when you set clear WHYS for every goal that truly mean something to you, it keeps you motivated to follow through.
It reminds you of what you’re giving up on if you don’t follow through. The “why” can connect to you, as well as others.
Examples of strong WHYS:
- “I am doing this to model for my family how to eat healthy + see food as fuel.”
- “This will help me have more energy + a brighter attitude every morning.”
- “So I can walk up the stairs without losing my breath + feel motivated to move more.”
- “I will lose weight, which will allow me to keep up with my kids for many years.”
- “Following through will teach me how to love myself more so I can be happier each day.”
- “So I can feel energized after eating instead of tired, which will help me be more productive.”
STEP 3 | BREAK IT DOWN INTO 3-6 GRADUAL MINI GOALS
Next, take your goal + break it down into 3-6 gradual mini goals.
TIMEFRAME: Choose when you will measure your goal progress [every 2 months, monthly, bi-weekly]. This all depends on how big your goal is + what works best for you, mentally. Personally, I like to measure monthly when tracking 3-6 month goals. But, it’s up to you!
MINI GOAL: Break down the goal into gradual mini goals you can measure.
EXAMPLE GOAL: Complete a 3 step morning routine 5 days a week.
- 1 month- 2 step morning routine 2-3 days a week.
- 2 month- 3 step morning routine 2-3 days a week.
- 3 month- 3 step morning routine 3-4 days a week.
- 4 month- 3 step morning routine 3-4 days a week.
- 5 month- 3 step morning routine 4-5 days a week.
- 6 month- 3 step morning routine 5 days a week.
Note: there are multiple ways to break this goal down. Choose what works for you + don’t be afraid to shift when things aren’t working!
STEP 4 | ATTACH 2-5 SPECIFIC HABITS
**This step is key to your success. Don’t skip it!!
HABITS: Identify the specific behaviors that will lead you to your goal by the end of 3-6 months. I recommend choosing 2-4 behaviors that directly relate to your goal. Any more means your goal may be unrealistic to reach in 6 months + should be scaled down.
INCREMENTS: Decide how many times each week you’re going to plan on completing/tracking this behavior. Some might be the same each month. Others might increase over time.
Example goal: Complete a 3 step morning routine 5 days a week.
- HABIT 1- Getting out of bed + making coffee at 6am.
- HABIT 2- Meditating for 1-5 minutes.
- HABIT 3- Journaling for 1-5 minutes.
STEP 5 | SET UP YOUR HABIT TRACKER
Now you’re ready to set up your habit tracker! When you download the goal planner a habit tracker will also be sent to you.
Start immediately using today or tomorrow’s date [you don’t need to wait for the 1st of the month!].
TIP: Only fill out a tracker for the first month. You might find that you shift your plan with slightly different mini goals or habits. Just print enough for the 3-6 months + set them up right before you need them!
- Related: WHY YOU SHOULD TRACK YOUR HABITS
STEP 6 | CREATE AN ACCOUNTABILITY SYSTEM
**Don’t skip this step!
If a goal is big + challenging enough that you’re attaching brand spankin’ new habits to them, you need someone you trust holding you to your word.
Choose a cheerleader who love you enough to call you out in a gentle way. Give them permission to remind you about your 3-6 month goals + habits [+ your WHYS!].
Be sure to send them a copy or picture of this worksheet so they know all the deets.
BE SPECIFIC ABOUT:
- Who you are checking in with [spouse, best friend, co-worker, family member, FB group, etc]
- Where you are checking in with them [in person, through text, Instagram DM, email, FB, etc]
- How often [twice a day, every day, week, month]
- What time [morning, afternoon, night, 6am, 12pm, 9pm, etc]
READY TO BREAK DOWN YOUR BIG 3-6 MONTH GOALS? LET’S DO THIS!
Click HERE to download your free copy now.
Feel free to comment below with any questions you have, reach out to me on Instagram, or send me an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.