The time to spring clean is finally here again!
I know most people don’t feel this way, but I love organizing + decluttering. It actually gives me energy as I do it!
I think it’s because I am anticipating the after-feeling of “ahhhhhhhhhh…” [cue deep breath + relaxation].
Truth be told, I re-organize + get rid of things probably once a month. But, to have a season dedicated to making even more space for newness makes me so happy!
This post is truly important when it comes to the healthy lifestyle you’re building. Why? Because your environment affects your mindset + the healthy [or unhealthy] decisions you make every day!
So, in the spirit of the season, I put together a simple + effective 7 day spring cleaning challenge to help you organize your life [without all the overwhelm].
What makes this spring cleaning list different than most you will find is:
- The timeline I provide [see below]
- + How I have you dig deep into areas that are outside of your physical home, too!
*I also made you a free download so you can print your spring cleaning list, get motivated, + begin!
7 Day Spring Cleaning Challenge
SPRING CLEANING + A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Whether you enjoy it like me or not, making time for serious deep cleaning + de-cluttering/organizing is extremely important when it comes to your wellness journey!
That’s because the spaces around you every day reflect:
- Who you are as a person
- What you value + believe to be true about yourself
- The lifestyle you’re living/trying to create
Just like it’s important to take care of how you look + how you feel physically/mentally every day, the same goes for your spaces.
When your spaces are organized + have specific systems, your mind follows. Your thoughts are more clear, it’s easier to find things, + routines are much much much easier to follow!
If you allow your spaces to be chaotic + cluttered with things you don’t need/use, don’t be surprised when your mind + daily habits follow suit.
I highly recommend you create a schedule for yourself that allows you to spend a little time each month (or week) decluttering + organizing your spaces.
But, this spring cleaning challenge is a GREAT place for you to kick-start good cleaning + organizational habits!
TIMELINE | SPRING CLEANING CHALLENGE
What’s unique about this spring cleaning challenge is that you get to choose how to follow each day out of the 7 days.
Meaning, you can do all 7 days of the spring cleaning challenge in a row OR spread it out over a few weeks/months.
Really, it all depends on:
- your schedule
- the size of your spaces
- the level of clutter
- your determination
For me? I am going to tackle this challenge over a few weekends because that’s what fits my schedule. Plus, I can make my husband help me then [haha].
But, take a moment + scan your schedule. Map out your 7 days.
If today is your first day, let’s get started!
- Related: FOCUSED DAILY PLANNER PRINTABLE
3 ASPECTS | SPRING CLEANING CHALLENGE
It’s not enough just to clean an area [that’s where many people go wrong].
When you just focus on the cleanliness of an area, you will find that you’ll be right back to square one in a matter of weeks.
Clean doesn’t mean organized! It just means less dust + dirt.
For each area that you are going to attack during this spring cleaning challenge, you are going to focus on 3 key aspects:
- Deep cleaning
- Organizing + creating systems
You want to purge + de-clutter to free up space for other things in your life. That could mean physically purchasing new items this year or it could just mean freeing up space for nothing so you feel more at peace + lighter!
When you organize, try to focus on doing it in a way that makes sense.
For example, putting your food containers in the cabinet right above where you meal prep every Sunday so they’re easy to grab.
- Related: 30 DAY HEALTHY LIFESTYLE CHALLENGE
DAILY BREAKDOWN | SPRING CLEANING CHALLENGE
Let’s take a look at how each day is broken down in this spring cleaning challenge! I give you some ideas to help you as you go through each area.
Also, I understand if you don’t have some of these spaces. It all depends on where + how you live ( I don’t have all of these!). If something doesn’t fit your life/needs… just skip it! Add unique areas + spaces as you see fit.
- Bedrooms (closets, drawers, surfaces, under the bed, dressers, clothing, sheets/blankets)
- Bathrooms (shower/bath, toilet, cabinets, drawers, counters, sinks, mirrors, medication, beauty products)
- Bags (purse, gym, work, food shopping)
- Kitchen (cabinets, drawers, fridge/freezers, appliances, pantries, counters, table/chairs, backsplash, outsides of cabinets)
- Closets (hallway + linen)
- Living areas (couches/chairs, tables, entertainment stands, electronics, throws, pillows)
- Playroom (toys, closets, bins)
- Home office (desks, drawers, cabinets, paperwork, digital files)
- Cars (wash, vacuum, glove compartment, center console, seats, floors, trunks, doors)
- Work office (desk, drawers, cabinets, surfaces, electronics, paperwork, digital files)
- Phone + computer (apps, photos/videos, files)
- Basement (bins, shelves, workbench, toy area, workout area)
- Laundry room (clothing, supplies, washer/dryer)
- Mudroom (jackets, shoes, cabinets, rugs)
- Garage (shelves, drawers, kids stuff, tools)
- Shed (shelves, cabinets, gardening tools, mower)
- Front yard (walkway, driveway, plant beds, porch)
- Backyard (deck, plant beds, play set, dog pen)
DAY 7 :
- Windows + blinds
- Baseboards + walls
- Doors + handles
- Drapes + curtains
- Floorings + throw rugs
RECOMMENDATIONS | SPRING CLEANING CHALLENGE
Just remember that the ultimate goal of this spring cleaning challenge is to get your mindset right + FEEL GOOD!
So, do your best to take the pressure off + enjoy the experience as much as you can.
Find small ways to make the process less about doing “work” + more about making room for new things, feelings, + experiences in the future!
Some things I recommend:
- Do it with a friend, partner, or family member
- Listen to podcasts or an upbeat playlist
- Open up your windows + let the fresh air in
- Take before + after pictures to truly see your progress
- Write down a list everything you purge (it’ll feel good!)