When trying to create healthy eating habits, sometimes you can get stuck when it comes to knowing what to eat.
Not just what to eat, but how to choose meals that are healthy + actually taste good!
It’s not as complicated as you may think. Really, you should be able to eat almost ANY food you want. Yes, I said that. You can have burgers, pizza, chips, ice cream, etc.
But, there are 2 ways to do it in a way that is nutritious + will help you get physical results:
- 1 | FOOD SWAPPING – I have an entire post HERE dedicated to why food swapping is the bomb when creating healthy eating habits + how easy it is to incorporate in your life. Basically, you just swap ingredients in meals you make for healthier options [fewer chemicals, lower calories, more nutrients, etc].
- 2 | COOKING YOUR MEALS | If you want to really change your eating habits, you need to get dedicated to cooking more on your own — even if it isn’t your thing. Eating at restaurants, ordering takeout, or buying pre-made meals will 99% of the time not get you to reach your weight loss, fat loss, or healthy eating goals.
A great way to get into the mode of cooking more at home + making smart food swaps is to get inspired by other people’s healthy meal ideas.
So, today I wanted to share a “day in the life” of what I would typically eat in a day to hopefully inspire you to eat what you love in a more nutritious way!
In this post, I break down:
- 2 common ways I portion my meals/snacks throughout the day
- When I typically eat my meals/snacks
- A sample breakdown of what I eat in a day
2 COMMON WAYS I PORTION MY MEALS + SNACKS
Depending on what season of life I am in or if I am intermittent fasting or not, there are 2 ways I like to portion out my meals + snacks:
1 | 4 MEALS + 1 SNACK – Some days I like having a smaller sized breakfast, 2 lunches, + a dinner with a snack before bed. Usually, I do this when I am not intermittent fasting + eat within an hour or 2 of waking. I did this most of my pregnancy when I was ravenous!
2 | 3 MEALS + 2 SNACKS – But, when I am intermittent fasting, I typically like to have 3 larger sized meals [breakfast, lunch, + dinner] with a snack before dinner + a dessert after dinner.
WHEN I TYPICALLY EAT
1 | WHEN I’M NOT IF – When I am not intermittent fasting, I typically wake up to work out around 5:30-6am. I eat breakfast with my daughter at 7:30am, lunch #1 around 10:00, lunch #2 around 1-2pm, dinner around 6:00pm, + a snack at 8:00pm.
2 | WHEN I AM IF – When intermittent fasting, I typically eat breakfast around 10am, lunch around 1pm, a snack around 4pm, dinner at 6pm, + a snack sometime before 8pm.
- Related: MEAL PLANNING FOR BEGINNERS
SAMPLE “WHAT I EAT IN A DAY”
MEAL 1: Sausage Egg + Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices of organic ezekiel bread
- 1 organic egg + egg white
- 2 chicken + maple sausages
- Cheddar cheese
MEAL 2: Tuna Raisin Walnut Quesadilla
- If you love tuna + having cheesy quesadillas, you need to try this recipe HERE!
- Related: 12 HEALTHY FOOD SHOPPING TIPS
SNACK 1: Heavenly Hunks Almond Butter Chocolate Bite
- OMG! If you haven’t tried these, you’re missing out. Click HERE to see all their yummy flavors! They’re a great option to satisfy a sweet tooth craving.
- Related: 17 WAYS TO EAT HEALTHY ON A BUDGET
MEAL 3: Lemon Chicken + Skinny Spaghetti Alfredo
- A great option if you LOVE pasta + creamy alfredo sauce, but want to save on calories without sacrificing taste. Click HERE to see what I used!
- Related: FREE WEEKLY MEAL PLANNER
SNACK 2: Greek Yogurt + Crushed Oreo Thins
- All you need is some thick plain greek yogurt [try to choose organic + don’t fall for brands that have added sugars!] + a crunchy sweet treat crumbled on top. I used Oreo thins. But, you can use another kind of cookie, graham crackers, etc.
- Related: 25 HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS