It’s time to quit dieting once + for all if you have not already.
Diets don’t work! It’s that plain + simple.
Don’t let any product, celebrity, magazine, or friend make you believe otherwise. They are either trying to make a buck or are not educated on health + wellness.
Been dieting for years? Don’t feel bad. Stop feeling guilty. I was once there!
It’s all about getting informed + educated so you can make healthier choices every single day.
Do you want to…
- Lose weight for good?
- Have more sustained energy?
- Develop healthy eating habits?
- Have a good relationship with food?
- Feel happier every day?
then you are going to want to read this post in its entirety!
Today I am going to drop the curtain surrounding dieting + expose it for what it truly is: a sham.
Keep reading to empower yourself so you can quit dieting for good + start focusing on creating healthy, lifelong habits!
6 Reasons You Need to Quit Dieting For Good
DIETING IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
In general, dieting doesn’t make you feel good about yourself (although, it sure advertises that you will!).
Instead of learning about good habits + strategies, dieting puts a focus on obsessing about the food you eat. You know… that feeling where you constantly keep thinking about your next meal.
Who hasn’t been there? Such a mentally-consuming way of living!
With the obsession also comes guilt + shame. Diets are so restrictive + when you step outside of the “rules,” you are left feeling bad about what you ate. You are meant to feel weak for not sticking to exactly what, how much, + when you were supposed to eat.
Then, since you’re constantly focusing on “good” +”bad” foods, your happiness meter is tanked. You are constantly stressed out. Even though you may be losing weight, dang… you are so stinkin’ moody!
Oh goodness, have I been there.
Who can truly be happy when their stomach is growling + they are just dreaming about having a freakin slice of pizza??
- Quit Dieting Tip: Make a happiness list with 10+ activities that lift you up (i.e. going for a walk, reading, singing). Do at least 3 of these a day!
DIETING DOESN’T ADDRESS YOUR CORE ISSUES
No matter what, if you are eating poorly, overeating, or not eating enough… there are much deeper issues at stake. Fad diets ignore the core issues that are causing your poor eating habits in the first place.
To create truly healthy habits around food, you need to embed personal growth into your life.
Why? Your emotions are directly linked to the way that you eat throughout the day.
- Related: HOW TO DEAL WITH NEGATIVE SITUATIONS
If you’re depressed, on-edge, stressed, or have low self-esteem, it’s harder to make good choices in general when it comes to our heath.
You will have a hard time finding any quick-fix diet out there that recommends you see a therapist, read self-help, or listen to inspirational podcasts.
They won’t recommend that you analyze your toxic relationships, learn strategies to deal with self-limiting beliefs, + create an environment that truly makes you happy.
- Quit Dieting Tip: Start listening to one inspirational podcast every morning (while getting ready, having breakfast, or commuting to work).
DIETING RULES ARE UNREALISTIC + RESTRICTIVE
In general, you should not have “rules” when it comes to the way you eat.
Yes, you might have guidelines you choose to life by. But, they are just that: a guide.
Here are examples of some popular dieting rules:
- You can only eat less than 1000 calories a day
- Cake, pizza, cookies, + chocolate are banned
- Chew your food 100 times before you swallow
- Only eat wild + raw foods
- Eat all you want, but it has to be cabbage soup
- You must use colored containers or you can’t sit with us
- Only one cheat meal a week (or none at all)
- Steer clear from high-fat foods because they make you fat
- Weigh yourself every morning (naked) + keep track
- Only eat from the provided list of foods
- Make sure you log your food after every bite
- Drink lemon juice, apple cider, + maple syrup for 30+ days
- Eat your food only pureed like a baby 14 times a day
- Drink apple cider vinegar before every meal
Yes, some of these are extreme. But, all come from very famous + highly used diets throughout history.
I know… you can’t believe some people would follow some of the rules above. But, thousands/millions have!
Don’t fall for all of this nonsense. If you need to follow strict rules + there is more focus on what you can’t have than what you can, it’s bogus.
- Quit Dieting Tip: Focus on making healthier choices 80% of the time. For example, cooking your meals more often, buying less processed foods, or choosing organic options when possible.
DIETING TAKES UP TOO MUCH TIME + ENERGY
Dieting is like having another side job or taking a course. The amount of time + effort required to follow the rules + see results is ridiculous.
Many diets require you to:
- Track your food intake
- Track your calories
- Track your macros
- Track your weight
- Track your measurements
- Weigh your food
- Organize your food into containers
On top of all the physical work you have to do, you spend so much time thinking about the diet in general. Whether you want to quit, want to cheat, have hunger pains, dread the “allowed” list of foods, or are craving your favorite foods…
You may not realize it, but all of these thoughts drain you quickly throughout the day. You focus less at work, less on your friends + family, + less on your mental wellness.
The time adds up.
Let’s be real. All the obsessive time + energy spent thinking about dieting usually makes you “slip-up” anyways. Then, down the guilt rabbit hole you go.
- Quit Dieting Tip: Focus on creating habits around healthy eating that actually stick. Once the habit is formed, it’s another decision you won’t have to make (less time + energy used every day!).
DIETING FOCUSES ON WEIGHT LOSS, NOT HEALTH IMPROVEMENT
Dieting is all about losing weight (+ losing it fast!). Yes, we all want quick fixes. But, at what cost?
Diets focus on having you obsessed with the number on the scale + zero in on your negative, self-limiting thoughts about your weight. They ignore the fact that crash diets wreck havoc on your body.
Let’s chat about your metabolism while on a diet.
When you restrict your calories intensely, you would think that your metabolism is running faster + faster. But, it actually slows down.
Your body believes that you are going into starvation mode + that it needs to conserve the energy it has. Therefore, it tries to hold on to the weight you have + store even more fat.
Yes you might lose 20lbs in a month. But, ever notice how much weight comes back on not shortly after the crash diet is over? The intense hunger pains? The exhaustion? That’s your compromised metabolism at work.
Not only does it negative impact your body, but diets teach you little to nothing about healthy eating + nutrition.
Most fad diets don’t address:
- How to read nutrition labels
- Organic foods vs conventional
- Toxic vs healthy ingredients
- How to balance your meals
- Processed foods vs whole foods
Instead, they mask their product in promises to lose weight, knowing you’ll come back + pay again when you can’t see the results on your own.
- Quit Dieting Tip: Start educating yourself at least once a week about nutrition so you can make better choices every day (podcasts, books, blog posts, magazines, etc.). Want something even easier? Follow nutritionists + health bloggers on social media!
DIETING IS A SHORT-TERM SOLUTION
This is the biggest issue that I have with dieting. Fad diets are quick-fixes with NO lifelong, positive results!
Almost every diet you purchase wants you to follow the plan for a short amount of days + then… what do you expect? To magically keep the weight off for life?
No! The diet industry wants you to shell out money over + over +over again.
The key? You need to learn how to create strategies + routines around how you eat every day of your life. Not just a limited amount of days, like dieting fads preach.
Focus on slow, steady, realistic steps towards implementing even just one part of a strategy every day. Over time, each becomes a habit.
The more habits you have around a healthy everyday diet, the less thinking + obsessing you have around what you eat. The less thinking required, the more free time you have to enjoy other things in life!
- Quit Dieting Tip: Start implementing one tiny eating strategy a day in order to form a habit. For example: meal planning, food swapping, or focused grocery shopping.
Take the first step towards ditching the “diet” mentality + educate yourself!
Here are some posts you will love:
- BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO CREATING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
- HOW TO BREAK UNHEALTHY HABITS FOR GOOD
- HOW TO USE FOOD SWAPPING TO LOSE WEIGHT + EAT HEALTHIER
- HOW TO MEAL PLAN + FOCUS GROCERY SHOP
- 5 KITCHEN TOOLS TO HELP YOU EAT HEALTHIER
- HOW TO INDULGE + STAY ON-TRACK DURING THE HOLIDAYS
LEARN MY STRATEGIES: